- Seasonal bedding plant nursery only trading for about one month of the year.
- All plants are grown on the premises; once the potting up and pricking out is completed in the spring we open to the public to sell our range of annual bedding plants in pots and boxes.
- Once the plants are sold we close down.
- Mr. Smith senior grows vegetable and herb plants.
- Compost and a reasonable basic range of gardening sundries including plastic pots, 8ft bamboo canes, hanging baskets, fertilisers, slug pellets etc. are also on sale.
- Formerly a small garden centre.
- Partners: D.R. Smith, C.G. Smith, S.A. Smith
The family has lived and worked in Saunders Lane, Mayford since 1903.
Mr. Smith senior developed the retail nursery after the second world war.
In 1978 more land was purchased and David Smith started a wholesale nursery, producing hardy nursery stock which rapidly grew and flourished over the next twenty years. In 1998 he took over growing the retail bedding plants from Mr. Smith senior.
In June 2009 the garden centre closed down after a lifetime of trading seven days per week all year round. A planned new bungalow in front of the garden centre for Mrs. Gwen Smith was not built. The little remaining retail area would have been updated for current activities, with commercial nursery equipment utilised for production. Bedding plants are now grown on part of the nursery and sold from the old garden centre throughout May.